How to Add Author Tracking in WordPress with MonsterInsights?
Blogs are the most convenient ways of educating people about the stuff since search engines offer the answers to every question, there are people writing them. Every blog has various authors providing the content.
So, it is obvious that your WordPress has a huge number of authors writing the content. Keeping a track of every author and his/her content will help you figure out the best performers among all and also what type of content makes sense to your audience. If you want to track the authors in your WordPress then here you go.
How installing Monster Insights in Google Analytics can help?
There’s no way you can track your authors with Google Analytics default setting, however, customizations in the settings will help. In order to track your authors, you need to add custom settings and enable author tracking. Of all, MonsterInsights is the easiest way to do so.
MonsterInsights is the best Google Analytics plugin and also probably the easiest way to enable the author tracking in your WordPress website.
As soon as the author tracking is enabled, you will get to view the reports with statistics of page views, bounce rates helping you differentiate between good and poor performers of your blog.
So, let’s understand the setup process of setting up the author tracking in WordPress with Google Analytics.
How to set up Author Tracking in WordPress with Google Analytics?
The setting up of the Author Tracking is a lengthy yet a simple process, here is a step-by-step guide for you to follow and set up the author track easily.
- Firstly, you need to install and activate the MonsterInsights Pro plugin.
- After the activation, go to the “Insights” section, click on “Addons”, find “Dimensions” addon, install and activate it.
- Now, connect Google Analytics with WordPress.
- Go to your MonsterInsights account, copy the license key.
- Now, again go to the “Insights” section and navigate to settings in your WordPress website.
- Paste the license key in the license key field and click on the verify button.
- After verifying, click on the Tracking tab in the top section, navigate to “Custom Dimensions” in the left-hand menu.
- Now on this page, click the “Add new custom dimensions” link to find a dropdown list.
- Select the “Author” as your custom dimension from this dropdown list.
- Store the applied settings by clicking on the save button.
- Now, log onto your Google Analytics account, open your blog link to add the custom dimensions for author tracking.
- Go to the Admin tab from the left menu.
- Click on custom dimensions under the custom definitions’ column.
- Now, click on the “New custom dimension” button in the table.
- A form appears to create a new custom dimension. Fill it proceed further.
- Add the author’s name in the “Name” field and click on create.
- Let other settings remain the same.
- Now match the index number of Google Analytics with the Custom Dimension ID available in WordPress’s MonsterInsights settings.
- Take note of the index number that can be found under the Index column in Google Analytics.
- Visit the “Insights” section and navigate to the settings page in the WordPress admin area.
- Now go to the Custom Dimensions under the tracking tab in the left-hand menu.
- If the custom Dimension ID matches the index number then proceed, otherwise make sure to enter the index number you noted down for the Author Dimension and click on save changes.
- Now add a custom report in Google Analytics account to track the authors in your blog.
- In Google Analytics, go to Customizations navigate to custom reports from the left menu.
- You need to look for the Report content fields and properly define the metric groups.
- Now add the Author in Dimension Drilldowns and click on save.
Voila, here you go with viewing all the traffic reports of your authors and monitor the page views, bounce rates and other aspects of your blog authors.
If you want to view further reports of your authors then select the Author as a secondary dimension in Google Analytics. For this, you will need to follow the below steps
- Visit the Behavior section, navigate to “all pages” from “Site Content”.
- Now choose any primary dimension of your choice and go to the Secondary Dimension dropdown just below it.
- Click on Author option under Custom Dimensions in order to view the custom reports with other primary dimensions.
- This will add a new author column and displays the author’s name along with the blog title.
And there you go, now you can view more personalized reports of your author’s performance on your blog.
The above step-by-step guide will help you easily add Author Tracking in WordPress with MonsterInsights. Google Analytics provides you with the various options to change the settings and view the reports according to the need. It will also allow you to export the reports as spreadsheets.